Wednesday 20 February 2008

Mental issues with Eczema!!!!

Caring friend??/how to help ( The Parky Technique )
Now we all know our friends and family care, and would do anything to help us, we know they are only concerned for our well being but sometimes the “ oh dear your skin looks really sore again “ or “oh mate your skin is bad bud “ is as bad as people staring or making comments in the street.
When I have eczema all over my neck and face I know how bad it is!! I do my jacket up to the top and put a cap on and walk along looking at the floor, if I have the confidence to go out the house at all. I feel like saying “ really I hadn't noticed the fact my face is bleeding and I can't stop scratching” but you you can't because you know they just don't understand the mental issues that go along with eczema and they only care.
For me the mental side of the eczema is the worst bit. I can put up with the itching and scratching and would deal with being covered in eczema as long as it wasn't on my face and neck and no one could see it. Call me shallow, but for me the worst bit is the fact when it flares up it's my face and neck that suffers the most and this intern hammers myself confidence and robs me of my personality and I can't stand it. Mentally it destroys me.
People not mentioning the eczema at all is better for me than the caring words as I want to try and forget about the fact it is there and try and get on as normal. However there is something even better and I am going to describe it as the Parky Technique after my mate Parky who regularly uses it. ( apologies to the others out there who know me who do the same but it really sticks in my mind with Parky maybe cos I see him a lot )
What is the Parky technique?? I hear you ask!!!.
Well he does the opposite and only mentions my skin when it is good, which is when most people forget I have eczema and carry on as normal. He often greets me in the pub or at work with “ Skin looks good at the mo mate “ or something along those lines and the effect it has mentally is more than anyone who does not have eczema will ever know!! It makes you grow. Feel good again.
I then have no worries and enjoy looking people in the eyes when I buy a newspaper or get asked the time in the street.
If your friend has eczema or your brother, sister, cousin,wife or girlfriend.....whoever, try the Parky technique it will make a big difference to them, it does to me!!!!

No comments: